RI DEM Receives $400,000 in Brownfields Assessment Grant Funding For KeepSpace Communities

May 2016

The US Environmental Protection Agency recently awarded DEM a $400,000 Brownfields Assessment Grant for hazardous substances and petroleum assessments for use on a community-wide basis (epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-awards-nearly-16-million-clean-new-england-brownfields ). This grant funding is targeted towards 4 communities: Arctic Village (West Warwick), Pawtucket Transit Hub Area, Central Falls Transit Hub Area, and the neighborhood of Olneyville (Providence) where approximately 90% of the funding will be allocated, with the remaining 10% being used at high priority sites state-wide.

DEM plans to use the funding to continue the successful momentum gained from years of brownfields experience and to support those communities determined to be most in need. DEM will carry out a minimum of 10 Phase I Environmental Site Assessments and 8 Phase II Environmental Site Assessments utilizing this grant funding in these communities.  Site selection criteria will be determined based on sites prioritized by each target community and by the DEM Targeted Brownfields Assessment Application. The application process is a competitive process and potential sites are scored based upon numerous factors used to determine the extent to which a property is underutilized, as well as site assessment costs, existence of a reuse plan (which includes sustainable reuse), financial incentives offered by the applicant, leveraging of funds for cleanup, and the applicants community involvement process.

DEM will be reaching out to the 4 target communities during the next few months to initiate the site selection process.

Questions and requests for assessment applications should be directed to Cory DiPietro at 401-222-4700, ext. 2030 or cory.dipietro@dem.ri.gov. Applications should be submitted to Cory DiPietro, RI DEM, Office of Waste Management, 235 Promenade Street, Providence, RI 02908.

Additional Resources