Boating Safety Certification

adult with three kids in front of a Wear It Rhode Island banner
Wear It Lifejacket Icon


  • You were born after January 1, 1986
  • You will be operating a Personal Watercraft (Jet Ski), regardless of age and regardless of residency
  • If you are an Out-of-State Resident and operating a vessel (other than a Personal Watercraft-see above), you must meet the requirements of your home state in order to operate in Rhode Island Waters. For questions, contact DEM/Environmental Police 401-222-3070.
  • Mandatory Boating Safety Education Information About the Law


There are two methods for certification:

  • You can take a classroom course offered by our state-approved course providers.
  • You can take an online course (links below). There are two approved online state approved courses, both of which required the student to pass an in-person proctored exam when completed. You can study online using our state-approved online course, which will then require you to pass a proctored exam.

To receive certification via our online study course, you must complete the state-approved course by Boat-Ed. Once you have completed the course, you must pass a proctored exam. Information on this exam is provided below. Boaters can also request a home study course booklet by contacting DEM/Environmental Police at 401-222-3070.

Boating Exams

A boating accident report must be filled out by the owner/operator of any vessel that meets the following criteria:

  • Loss of life or disappearance from a vessel.
  • Injury to any person that requires medical treatment beyond ordinary first aid.
  • Property damage in excess of $2,000.
  • Complete loss of a vessel.

RI Boating Accident Report Form

Protected Marine Animals Need Your Help!

Examples of protected marine animals