News and Press

All News

More Tweets

Air Pollution Control Preconstruction Permits
Air Pollution Control Operating Permits
Freshwater Wetlands
Septic (ISDS/OWTS) Records
Septic (ISDS/OWTS) Licensing
Stormwater Permitting Info
All Other Water Permits
Aboveground Storage Tank Registration
Underground Storage Tanks
Permitted Waste Transporters
Online Hunting/Fishing
Boat Registration Renewal
Rec Freshwater Fishing Licenses
Rec Saltwater Fishing Licenses
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Shellfish Harvester Certification
Online Renewals
Agriculture Product Permit Renewals
Hazardous Waste Transporter Permit Renewals
Medical Waste Generator Registration
UST Registration Renewal
Marine Fisheries License Renewals
Online Permit Searches
Multi-Sector General Permits
Non-Contact Cooling Water Permits
Septic (OWTS) Records After 1990
Septic (OWTS) Records Before 1990
Wetlands Permits
Remediation General Permits
Other Resources
Application Forms
Permit Application Center
Request a File Review
Rules and Regulations

Welcome to The RI Produce Safety Portal

The Division of Agriculture aims to aid growers in navigating the Produce Safety Rule. In order to determine farm coverage or exemption we would like our growers to sign up with the RIDEM Division of Agriculture’s RI Produce Safety Portal. Each RI Grower will receive an information packet about Produce Safety, help from RIDEM Division of Agriculture staff to determine if your farm is covered by FSMA, regular policy & news updates and ability to request your voluntary On-Farm Readiness Review.

2018 Rhode Island Farm Survey


How many RI farms can be considered farms that may be impacted by the PSR?

According to the 2012 USDA census, RI has 1243 farms. However, only about 25% or approximately 300 grow produce for human consumption. According to the census 238 RI farms grow vegetables, melons, potatoes, sweet potatoes and 136 farms grow fruit, tree nuts and berries. While this number may not be exact, it is important to reference only those farms growing produce for human food when talking about the Produce Safety Rule.

How does maple syrup fit into FSMA and PSR?

A product like maple syrup would need a label indicating facility, ingredient(s) and net weight - requirements of NLEA and the state. Any food safety requirements for maple syrup fall under the Preventive Controls Rule for Human Food (CFR 117). If there are any questions regarding maple syrup, contact Diane Hirsh, University of Connecticut at

Does the PSR require that farmers have to keep records regarding animals in the field? What are the expectations and what records are required?

No. Farmers are not required to keep records regarding animals in field or even the assessments made by farmers concerning potential animal feces. The law requires that if a farmer sees animal intrusion in the fields of high risk produce (e.g. tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce) that the farmer assess the area to make sure that the animal(s) have not left contamination behind. If they have, the law does require that action be taken not to harvest that particular area.

Are there fines associated with non-compliance? If a farmer misses something or makes a mistake, will the FDA or state regulatory agency fine the farm?

There are no fines associated with deficiencies that an inspection may find on the farm as long as the problems are fixed. Issues associated with an imminent public health hazard must be dealt with quickly and all other violations of the rule must be corrected in a timely manner. The only time fines are implemented by FDA is if there is negligence.

What is the cost to attend the PSR/RI GAP training?

The cost to RI farmers will be only be $35.00 for those who want or need a certificate for PSR compliance. There is no cost to those who do not wish to receive the certificate.

Contact Produce Safety
Ananda Fraser, Produce Safety Program Coordinator
RI Department of Environmental Management
Division of Agriculture
235 Promenade Street
Providence, RI 02908-5767
Phone: (401) 222-2781 ext. 2411
Abigail Phillips, Programming Service Officer
RI Department of Environmental Management
Division of Agriculture
235 Promenade Street
Providence, RI 02908-5767
Phone: (401) 222-2781 ext. 4501